Winter Flu Vaccinations
Sam McCauley Chemists are pleased to offer a winter flu vaccination service. This service is free for all patients over 65 who hold a medical card or doctor visit card. Furthermore the vast majority of medical card holders over 18 years of age are also entitled to receive the winter flu vaccine and consultation free of charge - ask your local Sam McCauley Pharmacist for details. The service is also available for all private patients over 18 years of age without a prescription for only €15*.
The vaccine consists of the inactivated seasonal flu viruses expected to affect Ireland over the coming winter and offers between 70-80 percent protection against infection and the service is available from the end of September. There is likely to be high demand for flu vaccinations and we would encourage customers interested in this service to contact their local Sam McCauley store directly to arrange an appointment. Stocks may be limited so we would urge you to act now. Walk in appointments may also be available. Please contact your local Sam McCauley Chemist, see list below.
Corporate deals are available - please contact us for more details
- Being vaccinated is likely to provide effective protection against this year’s strain of the winter flu virus; however there may still be a small chance of you catching the flu.
- After vaccination it takes 10 - 21 days to be protected against flu. You cannot catch flu from a flu vaccination.
- Blood tests for HIV, Hepatitis C and HTLV1 should not be taken for two weeks following vaccination because there is the possibility of a false positive reading.
- On rare occasions, anaphylaxis may occur. We have procedures in place to deal with this.
- If you are concerned about any aspects of your vaccination or about any symptoms or side effects, talk to your Sam McCauley pharmacist immediately.
- If you have a condition that effects your immune system or are taking any long term medicines for such a condition, and this is the first time that you have received a flu vaccine, you will require a second dose in four weeks time.
How does the seasonal flu vaccine work?
Seasonal flu vaccine starts to work within 14 days and helps the immune system to produce antibodies to the flu virus.
The most common side effects and symptoms will be mild. The main symptoms include soreness, redness, or swelling where the injection was given. Headache, fever, aches and tiredness may occur. Some people may experience mild sweating and shivering as their immune system responds to the vaccine but this is not flu and will pass in a day or two.
Rare reactions include severe allergic reactions, nerve pain and inflammation, numbness, tingling, fits, thrombocytopenia (a blood disorder), rare nerve disorders and possible inflammation of the blood vessels. Seek medical advice if you experience any of these symptoms.